Saturday, February 15, 2014

Waste not, want not!

I was talking with a principal of a local school the other day.  She had a whinge about how much paper and copied materials are printed and WASTED every day.  She saw me and asked why I was smiling (and I was grinning like the Cheshire Cat!).  Photocopying (especially colour copying) costs schools thousands upon thousands of dollars each term.  I replied that I haven't printed one sheet in the 4 days I have worked for them already this year.

She looked at me funny and asked what I used in the classroom.  It is not uncommon for non-CRTs to think CRTs rely on photocopying and blackline worksheets to teach.

I simply replied "everything but photocopied worksheets", made my goodbyes and headed home with that smile still on my face.  I know I am supporting schools in this hard time of financial struggle but even better?  I know the students that I had in my first four days of teaching were engaged, learning, investigating and best of all, having fun!

One day I might let her in on my secret.  Until then, I hope she comes for a visit in the classroom I am in, the next time I am in her school.

Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment